State Fair Community College
Closing Date: May 10, 2023
Industry: Higher Education
3201 W 16th St
Sedalia, MO 65301
SFCC provides a high-quality, geographically, financially and emotionally accessible education to more than 5,000 students who range from traditional college-age students to adult learners.
The college offers associate of arts, associate of fine arts, associate of science and associate of applied science degrees, professional and skills certificates, and noncredit courses and programs, and workforce development training in a 14-county area in central Missouri with locations in Sedalia, Boonville, Clinton, Eldon, Lake of the Ozarks, Warsaw, at Whiteman Air Force Base, and online.
Position Purpose: The Assistant Controller supports learning by working directly with the College Controller/Business Office Personnel/VP, Finance & Administration in promoting financial accuracy at State Fair Community College. Primary responsibilities include supporting the College Controller with overall accounting and supporting Business Office functions of the College. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with applicable accounting standards (GAAP). Responsibilities include: assisting with Business Office management, oversight of the General Ledger, ensuring internal controls are operating as designed, financial reporting, and analysis. This position will work closely with the College Controller, AP Specialist, AR Specialist and Cashier.
- Represents State Fair Community College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, faculty, staff and administration, suppliers, and the communities we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services; learns and uses operating practices of the Business Office and the College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: State Fair Community College provides relevant and responsive learning experiences that empower our students and communities to prosper.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of all college business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in ensuring the completeness and accuracy of college accounting records. Maintain a climate of confidentiality.
- Assist the State Fair Community College Controller with all college accounting and financial processes consistent with the requirements of the college’s policies and procedures to include, but not limited to, timely account reconciliation, budget to actual reporting, grant oversight/reporting, State budget entries/reconciliations and financial statements prepared in accordance with GAAP.
- Assist with the daily operations of the Business Office to ensure accurate and prompt services are provided/delivered to the employees/students of the college as well as members of our communities. Functions of the Business Office include accounts payable, accounts receivable, grant accounting, financial aid disbursements, expense management, fixed assets, overall general ledger management, tax filings, and compliance reporting.
- Assist with fiscal year-end closing procedures and audit information.
- Work with the Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development (DHEWD) to meet reporting deadlines, allocation/reimbursement timelines and requirements and assist with State fiscal and budget opportunities for the College.
- Perform/oversee complex general ledger transactions and reconciliations on a timely basis ensuring all adjustments are recorded properly within prescribed deadlines.
- Assist with the preparation and review of various tax/compliance filings to includes sales taxes and other regulatory requirements.
- Ensure proper, consistent financial accounting methodology, techniques and procedures are in place and used appropriately in the operation of the College. Train other departments as needed to ensure accurate timely processing of transactions and information.
- Interact in a team environment; assist other employees of the Business Office in determining deadlines, planning staffing requirements for all fiscal activities; recruiting/hiring staff as needed; evaluating performance of staff; ensuring and/or conducting staff training/cross training.
- Other duties as deemed necessary for the function of the college.
The preceding duties are examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification but are not all inclusive. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting required.
- 1+ years of accounting and/or audit experience with increasing responsibility in a complex organization.
- Ability to interpret, apply, and communicate regulations, accounting principles, policies, and procedures.
- Strong understanding of financial reporting and internal control systems.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and accurate.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, understand and attend to details, meet established deadlines, and provide excellent customer service to the college community.
- Able to maintain strong internal control environment including supporting documentation and authorizations.
- Strong analytical skills as required for account analysis and reconciliation.
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel and Word software.
- Ability to interact verbally in person, over the telephone, and via written and electronic media.
- Ability to move about campus and other locations.
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time.
Position offers excellent benefits including employer-paid health, dental, life, long term disability, a retirement plan through PSRS/PEERS, and tuition waivers. Please apply electronically with resume, cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address. Employment will require a criminal background check at College Expense
AA Statement: SFCC is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of State Fair Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities or employment as required by law in regard to admissions, awarding financial aid, access to courses and programs, and all student services as well as the recruitment, admission and retention of students.
As part of our enduring commitment to inclusive excellence on our campus, State Fair Community College, is a member of the Greater Missouri Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). HERC supports job seekers through the higher education job search process and it supports institutions in their efforts to create inclusive recruitment, hiring, and retention practices for staff and faculty.
To Apply for this position: